Tuesday, November 1, 2011

She's a Midnight Crawler (amongst other things)

Or more specifically she's a 3 a.m. crawler.  Ellen woke up in the wee hours Monday morning and came in our room to use the bathroom (her toilet is still broken).  She does her business and then goes back to her room.  No problem.  She then proceeds to be awake for the next 2+ hours... happily singing, chatting, playing in her bed.  Problem!  I could not sleep knowing she was awake (plus I could hear her loud and clear).  I went in her room several times, I called out to her to go to sleep, I sent Phillip into her room... nothing worked.  Every time she got quiet and I just knew she was finally asleep (victory!), she would start up again.  It was a wild night.  Later as Phillip and I swapped stories we discovered that she had asked us both to swaddle her night night "like Baby Bunting"... she was having a grand old time in the middle of the night and we were unknowingly playing along.

Me:  Ellen, there is going to be a costume contest tonight at Trunk or Treat
Ellen:  (her eyes light up)  I am good at contests!

As Phillip brought Ellen a glass of water at bedtime one night last week...
Ellen:  Is this water cold and refreshing?

On Sunday night at church, after Trunk or Treat, Ellen asked me if we could sit in Hannah's row (we usually sit a couple of pews in front of her).  I asked Mindy if that was okay and she was fine with it.  By the way, this made Ellen so happy.  Before services started I "challenged" Hannah and Ellen to find my name in the church bulletin (they both had one).  As an "expectant mother" I am on the prayer list and my name is in the bulletin every Sunday (my temporary claim to fame, along with my cleavage).  Phillip gives them a few hints and Hannah ends up finding it first.  Ellen sees it and says to Phillip, "I found Mommy's name next to my last name".  Good thing we were singing at the time because I started laughing so hard I thought I was going to have to leave.

Ellen is often "too busy" to do what we ask her to do.  Further proof she is a very important person.

Ellen loves the bright pink Mary Jane Crocs that Savannah passed down to her.  They are a little too big and when she wears them without socks they give her blisters.  But that doesn't stop her from wanting to wear them 24/7 (even with us reminding her about the blisters).  She now calls them her blister shoes.  It's funny to hear her ask, "Mommy, can I wear my pink blister shoes?".

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Ouch! I can't believe she actually stayed awake that long in the middle of the night! But the fact that she asked if her water was cold & refreshing makes it all worth it! ;o) She is hilarious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...