Friday, May 21, 2010

Not the best way to start the weekend

Ellen woke up crying around 11:00 last night complaining about her ears. We gave her Motrin and she eventually went back to sleep. I took her to the doctor this morning. She has a very bad infection in her left ear and a red, swollen throat. She got a shot and 2 prescriptions-ear drops (for pain) and an antibiotic. Usually we just get an antibiotic for her ear infections so I was surprised when the doctor mentioned a shot. It was kind of traumatic... seeing the fear (and tears) in her eyes was tough. I definitely do not like seeing Ellen scared and in pain. She was really favoring the leg that she got the shot in but that only lasted a couple of hours. After lots of TLC, a long nap and more TLC she ended up having a good day. We played all afternoon and had dinner ready when Phillip got home. It was so cute listening to Ellen tell him about the doctor - she is not likely to ever forget about that shot! I am glad that she is old enough to tell us what hurts, and very glad she told us, but I wish we had known sooner that it was her ears and throat. I hate that it got so bad! This explains our crazy week.

My two girls
Lucy sniffing Ellen's Barbie band aid

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Poor thing! It's impressive that she can tell you that it's her ear that hurts... many toddlers, even 4 and 5 year olds, can't localize their pain and effectively communicate to adults what hurts. What a smart girl! Hope she feels better soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...