Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Our Weekend

We had a really good weekend. Laurie moved out Wednesday so I worked on cleaning the guest room and bathroom. We moved Ellen back into her bathroom and she is as happy as can be. We did a lot around the house in general... cleaning, organizing, rearranging, laundry, etc. We have a lot of stuff ready to take to Goodwill. Productivity does a body good.

Saturday morning we went to Gentry's Farm in Franklin for the first time and it was so much fun. We were there a little over 3 hours and would have stayed longer if a little someone hadn't been in desperate need of a nap. We went through 2 outdoor mazes (the corn maze is 4 acres!), one indoor maze that was really neat, played in the wheat and corn, climbed on the wooden tractor play set (the slides were super fast), saw a few animals (including a huge turkey), went on a hayride, walked the nature trail, played bean bag toss, played in the log cabin and outhouse, sat in the teepee, played at almost all of the stations in the barn - I spy, farmers market, restaurant, farm "toys" (including animals, tractors, grain silos, etc.), and picked out our pumpkins. This will definitely become an annual tradition.

Later that afternoon, Ellen and I made a paper chain to count down the days until Halloween. Ellen kept taking the orange and black strips of paper and putting gobs of glue all over them... not helpful :) I don't know that she totally understood what we were doing, but I think she will catch on as it gets closer to Halloween and the chain gets shorter and shorter.

We had a meal at church on Sunday as part of our Friends and Family Day celebration. I made sugar cookies from scratch for the second time in my life (the first being with Sara Jo when we were in high school and I have a feeling she did most of the work). We didn't have the right combination of food coloring to make orange so we decided on purple icing for the pumpkins. They turned out pretty good and I saw lots of kids eating them for dessert (and they weren't gagging). Ellen sat at the kids table which I could tell made her feel special. Phillip was annoyed that I kept peeking around him to check on her but it was the first time she sat on her own at a church meal. We both eventually joined her at the kids table. I just couldn't do it!

We watched football Sunday afternoon and played inside most of the day. Saturday was warm and beautiful but Sunday was cool and windy. Ellen really likes going to Children's Bible Hour on Sunday nights so she was excited about going to church. She always comes away with neat crafts but more importantly, she is learning so much about God. It is a wonderful program. Phillip made a delicious dinner for us, which was much appreciated. After getting Ellen settled in bed we watched our usual Sunday night shows.

We have more fun activities to look forward to this coming weekend. I say it every Fall but this really is my favorite time of year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...