We went with our little tree again this year. Nine years and counting! Since taking this picture I put several presents under and around the tree. Ellen can't handle it. I should have known better. Causing her to suffer was not my intention but I don't plan on reversing my decision - the damage has been done. Maybe she will learn a valuable lesson from this. I know I did.
We are really cutting back this year. We are not buying presents for our families. They understand (at least I hope they do) but it is still hard. Teacher gifts and the girls are the only people we are buying for this year. Not everyone likes the process of lists and shopping and emailing everyone what you bought to avoid duplicates and wrapping... but I do. I admit the excitement has lessened over the years but I still enjoy it. I miss the hustle and bustle December usually brings (we have hustle and bustle but not on the same level). Even the traveling part - this will be our second Tennessee Christmas. I will definitely miss not being home. Sometimes the things you think you will never miss and are kind of glad you don't have to deal with, like road trips at the holidays (especially road trips with children at the holidays) are some of the very things you wish you could do once you don't have the option. Besides the unloading of the car part. I don't think I will ever miss unloading the car. Or unpacking. But besides those two unpleasant tasks, I will miss celebrating Christmas in North Carolina with our families (the way it should be).
I am still looking forward to Christmas. It will be different but in a good for us kind of way.

1 comment:
The girls will not be able to detect a hint of difference between a "cutting way back" Christmas and a "big whoopedeedoo" Christmas. All they will remember is the sounds and the smells and the hugs and the excitement and the love. My best Christmas memories are my earliest ones where my mom wrapped up socks and my sister's old toys in newspaper comics. Pure joy.
Post a Comment