Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wrapping up October

My office celebrated Halloween on Friday with trick-or-treating, a chili cook-off and a costume/decorating contest.  Some of the costume highlights: Cruella DeVille, Honey Boo Boo, the evil queen from Snow White, cards and dice, Candyland (HR always has great costumes and decorations), Flo (from the Progressive Insurance commercials), Larry the Cable Guy and a group who dressed (and danced) like they were from the 70's.  We had a lot of participation this year and that always makes it more fun.

Speaking of work, I am in transition once again.  But I think it is going to be a good thing this time.  Going from quoting/sales back to underwriting.  Expert Underwriter to be more specific.  I am no expert, but I am thankful for the underwriting part.  The perks (or what I have been told):  limited phones and NO SATURDAYS!  I was moved to my new desk today but it will be a few weeks before I take on any new responsibilities (they are hiring my replacement (plus 1) and he/she will have to be trained and self sufficient before I can make the switch).  Our busiest time of year is fast approaching (tax season) so this could not have come at a better time.    

Ellen is pretty much off naps.  She tires out quickly at night so we just make sure she goes to bed early.

We had Trunk-or-Treat at Heritage Elementary Friday night.  It was cold!  Ellen was not happy that we made her wear long sleeves and pants under her Merida costume - not authentic! - but it was the only way.  We quickly made the rounds and then headed home.  It was that cold.

Ellen went on her first ever field trip on Monday... Lucky Ladd Farm in Eagleville, TN (we went for the first time a few months ago and she was excited to go back).  She got to ride the bus!  It was a chilly day but we put her in lots of layers.  She brought home a cute little pumpkin.  Phillip was hoping to be a chaperon but it didn't work out this time.  [I am coming to terms with the fact that I am going to miss the majority of Ellen's school related activities.  I am making every effort to "be there" but the sad fact is, I cannot usually be there.  It hurts.  I don't know any other way to say it.]

Boosterthon is this Friday, November 2nd.  It is a "fun run" fundraiser.  You ask friends/relatives to pledge a dollar amount for each lap your child runs.  The max is 35 laps.  We wanted to get Ellen on the board so we pledged $1 a lap.  My parents, Kendra and David also made a pledge.  Ellen will be pleased.  She was sad that her name hadn't been called out in class (yet) to indicate she had received a pledge.  She's been brainwashed but it's for a good cause.  I think.

Phillip had a chili cook-off today at work.  He named his chili "Winner".  Based on that alone I didn't think he should win, but if he had brought home the $50 prize I wouldn't have been mad ('Lil Toot, made by the CEO's secretary, ended up winning).  We made chili in the crock pot Sunday and it was so good.  He used the exact same ingredients in the batch he made for the contest.  I tried to get him to submit our leftovers but he said that is something the people I work with would do.  He's right.

Lilly is finally allowing solid foods to be put in her mouth.  She still gives us a disappointed, somewhat confused look but no more fake choking (which sometimes led to real choking).  She likes Gerber Puffs and is doing surprisingly well with Cheerios.  She is definitely showing more interest in table food.  Sidenote:  Lilly's front two teeth absolutely kill me.  She is so cute! 

We had Trunk-or-Treat at church tonight.  I only got a few pictures of the girls.  We were rushed for time so it was basically a throw this store bought costume on over your clothes kind of thing.  I was disappointed but we had fun and that is what matters most.  We have a ton of candy leftover (plus Ellen got a pumpkin full of goodies).  As we were deciding what to do with the excess, it hit me... I am sending a big (huge!) bag of smarties to school tomorrow.  Mrs. Fielder regularly requests them in her newsletters - she gives them out as treats/rewards to her "smarties".  This should keep her stocked for a while.

Merida
 My little flower.  Lilly held on to this package of fruit snacks all night.
(costume courtesy of Grandmother)
Hannah, Willa and Ellen
I didn't open the box

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Love the costumes. We had to miss our trunk or treat this year... our neighborhood is such a hotspot for trick or treaters that we learned our first year here that you either have to leave the neighborhood before 5 p.m and not return until after 10:00 or just stay put because it's all hayrides and golf carts and you really can't drive through the neighborhood in a real car. And we live faaaaar back in the neighborhood. So we stayed put. But super sad we missed all the fun at church. Hate years that Halloween falls on a Wed or Sun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...