Thursday, September 27, 2012

She's not a lemon but she sure is sour! #teething

Lilly is majorly teething right now.  She is fussy, drooly, has a rash around her mouth (from the excessive drool), refusing her bottle and not sleeping very well (therefore we are not sleeping well).  If she wasn't so cute we would consider trading her in for a different model.

I finally went to Trader Joe's.  Slow to take to new technology?  Yes.  Slow to check out new or new to the area reasonably priced shops, stores and eateries?  Not usually.  One handful of cinnamon almonds later, I knew the first time would not be my last.


Lilly has proven she can crawl forward (yay!) but she is more interested in stretching and sticking her little bottom up in the air (see previous post) than getting from point A to point B.

We are eating dinner tomorrow night with a family from church, The Waggoners.  They bravely invited us over for lasagna.  Weekday evenings are hit and miss with two tired and cranky girls, who are both usually in bed by 8:00 (out of necessity), and at least one tired and cranky adult, but hopefully we will all rise to the occasion.  Thomas and Phillip have been working together on the church education committee for the last few months (they find teachers for Sunday morning and Wednesday night classes).  Ellen is looking forward to playing with Peyton and Lucas.  It should be fun!

Ellen had her 5 year check up yesterday afternoon.  She is 43.5 inches tall and 43.5 pounds.  She strives for proportionality.  She got 2 shots and there were so many tears, way too many in my opinion, that even Lilly started to cry.  I almost joined them when Dr. Frank recommended Ellen have her eyes checked (she didn't pass the eye test).  I really hope she doesn't need glasses (yet).

David, Crystal and Allie sent Ellen a Target gift card for her birthday (thank you!).  We stopped by Target in between Ellen's doctor appointment and church.  She chose a Barbie that doubles as a mermaid and a surfer.  She loves it!   After dinner (at church) she played with her new Barbie at and around the table.  Lilly was watching as Ellen twirled her through the air.  I mentioned that Lilly was enjoying the show.  Ellen then said sweetly, "I'll let you have one little bite" and proceeded to put Barbie's hand up to Lilly's mouth.  I laughed so hard.  I guess Ellen thought that would be the ultimate act of kindness since she knows Lilly is all about putting things in her mouth.  I love my Ellen!

On the way home from church last night...
Ellen:  s-e-x (saying the letters one at a time).  You know that word, don't you Daddy?
Phillip:  What word is that?
Ellen:  You know, six
Phillip:  You mean s-i-x
Ellen:  Yes, s-i-x

It's parent/teacher conference time around here.  We met with Mrs. Fielder earlier this week.  Here are a few things she said/wrote about Ellen:  she is a good friend to others, well liked by everyone in the class, eager to learn, eager to share, can be quiet and shy but asks questions when she is unsure, uses detail in drawings-artistic, enjoys positive attention and she is happy-smiles a lot.  She needs to work on putting spaces between words when writing sentences.  Mrs. Fielder is a proponent of being the older child (Ellen is the youngest) but she is holding her own socially and academically and in her words, Ellen is a very bright little girl. 

While Lilly napped yesterday morning, I did a little rearranging in Ellen's room, mostly on the walls.  It all started with a cute but overpriced poster I bought for Lilly's room.  Sadly, it just didn't work.  I tried to find a place for it in Ellen's room but no luck there either.  So instead I hung a clock I recently bought, hung a mirror over her nightstand/bookshelf, replaced one picture with another, put a white wooden "E" over her door (it is sitting nicely on the ledge for now), moved the lamp from the dresser to the nightstand, switched out plants, moved the CD player and decluttered as best I could.  Just a few changes but I am pleased with how it turned out.

Lilly recently graduated from her infant car seat carrier, previously used by Ashling, Ellen and Cade, to a regular rear facing car seat.  She is just too big for the carrier, length-wise and weight-wise.  She always lets out a desperate cry or two when we put her in the seat (same with the carrier), but I think she likes her new accommodations.  She has plenty of leg room and a much better view.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Love this update. Ellen sounds like she's doing great in school. Anna Kate is very young too. Ellen is definitely light years ahead of AK in penmanship. Anna Kate can still hardly write her name legibly. All my kids got flu shots last week and Anna Kate actually smiled through it. It's pure stubbornness - she can't let people see her break! Carigan cried enough for the both of them though. Carigan had her shot first and I calmed her down and then when she saw AK get how shot she started screaming again, even though AK was smiling! On the way home I was praising AK for not crying and Carigan said, "Mommy, I cried two times."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...