This is a version of a recipe for White Chicken Chili my Dad gave me several years ago. Like regular chili, I make this a lot... winter, spring, summer and fall. It is very hearty and filling.
1 10oz -12.5oz can of chicken
1 small to medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (we usually use the refrigerated jarred kind)
1 can Navy beans
1 can Northern beans
1 can diced tomatoes (I like petite diced)
1 can shoepeg corn
2 4oz cans of green chilies (or 1 7oz can)
1/2 tsp cumin (we like cumin so I usually use more)
2 chicken bouillon cubes (or bouillon granules equaling 2 bouillon cubes) dissolved in 1.5 cups of water (I usually use a little more than 1.5 cups)
One good thing about this recipe.... with the exception of the garlic and onion (and you could just use garlic and onion powder if in a pinch, although it wouldn't be as good without the onion!), all of the ingredients are non-perishable/pantry items. We do a lot of our grocery shopping while on lunch so this is a plus for us. You can definitely use "real" garlic and "real" chicken (boiled and shredded or cubed and cooked on the stove).
Here is what works for us:
Saute onion and garlic. Add chicken (if using canned, break up the chicken chunks with a fork before adding to the onion/garlic). Cook for a few minutes so the chicken can soak up the flavors. Meanwhile, in a large pot heat water and add bouillon cubes or granules. When the bouillon is dissolved, add all other ingredients, including the chicken/onion/garlic. Simmer for 30 minutes or more, stirring as you go along.
*Sometimes I just use one pot, the soup pot, for everything. I saute the onion and garlic, add the chicken (cook for a bit), add the cumin and then add all of the canned items. I just dissolve the bouillon in the measuring cup after I measure the water (using hot water helps speed up the process).
It's good, really good.
No comments:
Post a Comment