Friday, January 30, 2015

If Doc McStuffins were giving me a check-up my diagnosis would be tired-itis

We were having a great weekend and then boom! Phillip's car dies (the good car - and the good car isn't supposed to die) and we end up on the side of the road with a trunk full of groceries and two anxious children (this was Sunday night after church, followed by a trip to Walmart).  The upside: we were only about a mile from the house.  Mike Wu rescued us (Phillip's co-worker and friend who lives a few neighborhoods down from us in the other direction).  We transferred the groceries (and the kids) into his SUV and headed home while Phillip stayed with the Murano.  I fed the girls and then we waited.  And waited.  We picked Phillip up around 8:30.  He drove us home and then went back to wait with the Murano because long story short, State Farm's Emergency Road Service could not find a tow company that accepted their motorclub plan.  What?!  After a few more phone calls Phillip set up the tow and because he had my car, was able to drive himself home afterwards.  It was still a late night for the girls but was even later for Phillip.  He didn't get home until 10:00 (more than three hours after the breakdown).  He had a funny exchange with the tow guy that we still laugh about so it wasn't all bad.

After three days of arranging rides (which made for early mornings) and being late to work only to leave early (not surprisingly my job is not sympathetic even when bad things happen to good people), I am worn out.

That being said, I will miss riding with Phillip (we haven't carpooled in years).  We actually talked to each other on a weekday (well, I talked and he listened).  I will miss us both picking up the girls (we only dropped off together one morning but that was nice too).  Lilly loved it.  Mommy!  Daddy!  Mommy!  Daddy!  I will miss having that extra set of hands in the early evenings (Phillip gets home around 6:15 on a good night).

We picked up the Murano after church Wednesday night.  Tony wants to do one more thing to the car on Saturday, something to do with the airbag sensor, but the main issues - compressor, alternator and a few other minor fixes - have been resolved.  It wasn't cheap but it's good being a 2-car family again.


Waiting for Phillip
(I will not miss Brentwood traffic)

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Oh no! Man, if good broken down/highway stranding stories make for a good childhood, I had the BEST. My favorite was the time we broke down with a station wagon full of girls on our way to putt-putt for Erin's birthday and the mechanic said the car very well could have blown up and we were all very lucky. Suffice it to say, my friends all LOVED riding with the Rhodes Family! Ha! Glad you are back up and running. Sorry work is not more sympathetic. :-(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...