Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Kevin!

This is the time of year I tend to hibernate.  It's dark when I pull into the driveway and therefore my motivation to do pretty much anything is low.  My productivity sets with the sun.  After we unload I move on to my usual tasks - check the mail, feed the dogs, blow the heat, pour milk (someone I know must have milk within 2 minutes of walking through the door or else!), procure snacks for two hungry girls (no you may not have a special treat!), hang up coats, organize papers, lunches and backpacks, occasionally change a poopy diaper (I save these for Daddy if at all possible) and eventually start dinner.  

I wrote that several weeks ago and not much else since.  The holidays forced me out of hibernation earlier than I anticipated but we have been super busy (no rest for the weary!) and my time has been divided even more than usual.  And the day after I semi-bragged that the girls had not been sick lately Lilly ended up with a virus that lasted a good 7 days (high fever, meanness, congestion).  Phillip stayed home with her on a Tuesday and I was out with her the rest of that week (I have never missed three days of work in a row with a sick child).  No one else in the family is allowed to get sick.  Ever.

Even though the obligatory "$10 gifts" that accompany many a White Elephant, Dirty Santa, Ornament Swap, Book Exchange, Christmas Elf (a new one for us) or other such "game" are all in the name of fun (are we having fun?) they really add up.  But Phillip got (won?) a Walgreens At Home Drug Test Kit, for cocaine specifically, that almost makes up for the fifty some odd dollars we collectively spent on our contributions to these games this year.

Ellen watched Home Alone for the first time ever this past Saturday afternoon.  She enjoyed it and is only mildly scarred for life.

Lilly is not even close to being potty-trained, she fights it, but she did allow me to sit her on the potty for a few minutes Monday night.  Small miracle.


Hoping one day soon she will really need to wipe


We've been on a bubble bath kick here lately.  We have to practically force Ellen to bathe (I thought that was just a boy thing?) but Lilly never gives us any trouble at bathtime (bedtime is another story).  If she senses we might be skipping out she'll say How about a quick, quick, quick bath?



Things Lilly said at Heritage's Breakfast with Santa:
1.  Where is my classroom?
2.  I want to ride a school bus.
3.  I want my pace fainted. (face painted)

Unfortunately I did not get a good picture of Ellen sitting on Santa's lap but I did happen to get this one of Lilly giving him a tentative hug.


Rosie, our Elf on the Shelf, is back but I wouldn't say she's better than ever.  It's been an off year.



With Christmas right around the corner our focus, or at least my focus (see below), is getting ready for gift exchanges (we are celebrating Saturday), holiday travel and more.

Addressing the family...
Me:  Thanks for all of your help with the Christmas shopping, organizing, wrapping...
Ellen:  That was just you
Me:  Exactly

I really do enjoy Christmas, as overwhelming as it can sometimes be, but I will be experiencing my own version of Home Alone this year and it already doesn't feel quite the same.  Good thing I have two sweet girls to help get me in the spirit.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

You always make me laugh. Only slightly scarred for life. ;o) Hope Phillip's gift never comes in handy. Ha. If it makes you feel any better, I totally appreciate all you do!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...