Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams

Since I was not able to go home with Phillip and the girls for Christmas, I had to work the 26th, we had our family celebration on Saturday, December 20th.  It was really nice.  The girls opened gifts from us which included clothes for Rosie (our Elf on the Shelf), playmobil horse stable (and two more horse-themed sets), Lalaloopsy Tinies (houses and figures), backpack for Lilly, pajamas for Ellen, a few matching outfits, games, books, a puzzle, water-friendly Octonauts toys (the girls have been playing with them in the bath), Mike the Knight castle and a few other odds and ends.  Everyone walked away happy so I consider that a success.

The night before [our] Christmas









The aftermath






-------------------------

We had dinner that night with Matt, Sara Jo, Cole and Savannah... another pre-Christmas treat.


-------------------------

Sunday, December 21st


-------------------------

It is worth noting that even after I declared that no one else was allowed to get sick... ever, this was in the wake of Lilly's week-long illness, Ellen wasn't well the last few days of school before Christmas break (she only missed one day but I missed two days of work to be with her), I started feeling bad while taking care of Ellen and then poor Phillip got it two days before Christmas.  Not fun.

December 18th

-------------------------

Phillip (who was not feeling that great), Ellen and Lilly drove to Winston-Salem on Christmas Eve.  They celebrated Christmas that night with my parents and Andrea and Caleb and then late Christmas morning, the three of them went to Charlotte where Santa left Ellen a Kindle Fire HD7 and Lilly a few accessories for her Mike the Knight Castle.  They had a fun day with Nana, Grandpa, Kendra, Laurie and David.  On their way back to Winston they stopped in Mooresville to see my Aunt Diane, Uncle David and cousin, Kelly (they dropped off gifts for David, Crystal, Allie and Cameron).

My picture taker was hit and miss, especially on Christmas Day, but he was able to capture a few special moments.









Lots of quality family time!

-------------------------

Gift highlights...

Ellen: Keepsake Box (password protected), digibirds, boots, Kindle, beanie boos, ping pong paddles and balls, sleeping bag
Lilly:  Mike the Knight figures, playmobil, monkey beanie boo, light-up Skechers
Phillip:  Headset for PS4, Duke and Panthers apparel
Alaina:  Beautycounter skincare products, new sheets for our bed
Family:  Sound bar for TV, new home phone with multiple receivers (ours was slowly dying), Rachael Ray pots and pans, stainless burner covers (Phillip tried to set one on fire a few months back)

I opened my presents late Sunday night.


We love everything we got.  Thanks, everyone!

-------------------------

The stories about Lilly opening gifts are priceless.  She didn't care what was inside, especially if it was clothes, but she loved the unwrapping part.  And she wanted one present after another, naturally.  No down time and no regard for the other nine people in the room.  I didn't really notice this when we had our family Christmas, probably because it was just her and Ellen doing the opening, but one thing is for sure, she didn't have the kind of reactions we thought she would.  Stars and Moon tap light she had been wanting... nothing.  It was unwrap, briefly look and then move on to the next present.  She did squeal when she opened the Mike the Knight Castle but she was all business for the most part.


Afterwards she happily played with her new things, as did Ellen.  In true Lilly fashion, a sure sign she takes after her sister, she slipped on the backpack, tucked Dumbo under one arm and pushed her new pink toy bin (on wheels) around the house.

-------------------------

Phillip and Lilly got back in town Sunday night but Ellen is staying in North Carolina for another week.  And actually she is in West Virginia visiting my Grandmother for the next two days.

At the library


Over the river and through the woods...


Pit stop





Ellen and Midnight


Grandma!


-------------------------

I won't disclose everything I did while Phillip and the kids were away (I'll never tell...) but I did go to the movies four times (bargain matinee at Thoroughbred for the win!) and Krispy Kreme twice.  I enjoyed having a few days to myself but I hope to never be away from the family at Christmastime again.  Christmas dinner for one was tasty but also a bit sad :(


-------------------------

Rewind to December 19th.  Ellen was still not quite herself but with it being a half day anyway (and party day) she went to school.  I knew she couldn't handle a full day, she would have had to go to before and after care, so I stayed home.  I was able to take her to school and come for the party.


Book exchange


Later that afternoon we went to Lilly's party.  Santa came and brought her a Sofia the First figure that came with Minimus, Sofia's horse.  Ellen was a teeny bit jealous.



-------------------------

Phillip's work Christmas party was December 10th... on a Wednesday night (random) so I did not get to attend.


-------------------------

That was our Christmas in a nutshell.  And this is what our week, already in progress, looks like... Phillip and I both worked Monday and Tuesday (I had to work today but Phillip is off), church Tuesday night (our mid-week Bible study was moved due to the holiday), New Year's Eve party at the Broome's tonight, we are both off tomorrow, back to work/daycare Friday and we pick up Ellen on Saturday.  Busy but thankful for a 4-day work week, 3 for Phillip (lucky).

-------------------------

Happy New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...