Every morning around Halloween Ellen and I passed big blow up decorations in 2 different yards on the way to daycare. There was a pumpkin with 2 ghosts sitting on top of it in one yard and at the other house there was a family of 4 pumpkins. Without fail, Ellen always asked to see the "pumpkin lights" as we were getting in the car. Now that Halloween is over, one of the houses replaced their blow up pumpkins with a fall-like scene: bales of hay, a scarecrow and some real pumpkins. So now we have to go see the scarecrow every day.
I just know she is going to love Christmas decorations and lights. I have a lot of wonderful Christmas memories from my childhood. Growing up there were a lot of Moravian stars glowing on people's front porches at the holidays. Andrea and I used to count them, and Christmas trees in windows, on the way to and from church. Just thinking about it makes me want to do something neat at our house this year. My mom used to go all out with the Christmas decorations and we always had the most beautiful tree. It was different every year. It reminds me of the year my parents got a fake tree for the first time and tried to hide it from me. They thought I would be upset. I have always loved picking out and decorating the tree (except the lights-my mom likes a BRIGHT tree) and as Andrea and I got older, we took charge of the tree. There were certain ornaments I liked to put on the tree every year. This particular Christmas I was in college and the tree was lit and decorated before I came home for break. I didn't even notice it was fake! In my defense, to keep the secret, my parents would make comments about how good the tree smelled. They even talked about needing to water the tree because it was getting dry. A few days after Christmas, Phillip and I came back to my house and as soon as we walked through the door we were told to go into the living room. This was very strange. Phillip, knowing about "the tree", caught on to what was happening and encouraged me to stay in the living room. After a few minutes (that is all I could take) we went into the den. My parents and sister were dismantling the tree and did not want me to see them. Maybe you had to be there or maybe you have to know my family, but I thought (and still think) this is so funny. I am not sure why they thought I would be upset that the tree was fake, I wasn't, but I love them for thinking they needed to spare my feelings and for trying so hard to do so. They almost pulled it off! They have used the fake tree ever since and it always looks great. I do prefer real trees but we have a little pre-lit one that we have used for the past 5 years and it has worked great for us. I think we will start getting real trees as Ellen gets older.
I am looking forward to getting out all of our Christmas decorations. Is it too soon to start?
2 comments:
definitely not too early to start :)
I love that story about your family... at least they try to spare your feelings! My parents at least waiting until I went to college, and then they went straight to fake. It's definitely not too early to start decorating for Christmas... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for Christmas!
Post a Comment